With its unique combination of ceramic compounds SUPERTHERM® has proven to be the most effective, long-lasting ceramic thermal barrier coating available on the market today. SUPERTHERM® is a water-borne thermal barrier coating that is specifically designed to deflect and repel heat, moisture-penetration and air-infiltration on virtually any type of surface.
Having been tried and tested in extreme circumstances all over the world, it is unrivalled in terms of its ability to actually deflect and repel heat – no other alternative paints, coatings or insulators can compete!
"At any rate, given these values, please note that a 10-mil thickness of SuperTherm is the same as 6” of fiberglass in Thermal Conductivity." - PhD Inn Choi *
* PhD Inn Choi has a PhD in Fluid Mechanics and was one of the PhD's at Owens Corning who designed the R Value formula. PhD Inn Choi also worked with Dr. Raymond Viskanta W.F.M. Goss Distinguished Professor of Engineering, School of Mechanical Engineering, Heat Transfer Laboratory Purdue University where SuperTherm was first tested.
Exterior Application: SUPERTHERM® Multi ~ Ceramic Thermal Barrier Coating - Engineered to Repel Heat reduces thermal conductance by deflecting and repelling thermal absorptance by better than 95%. As noted by a PhD in Fluid Mechanics "SuperTherm is deflecting better than 95% of the heat to begin with therefore debating the remaining 5% with R value is immaterial.".
~ The first ceramic compound is primarily to deflect and repel
Ultra Violet (UV) heat at 99% however
while UV is a significant cause of surface deterioration it only
contributes 3% to thermal absorbtance.
~ The second ceramic deflects and repels better than 92% of Visual Light (short wave) heat which contributes 40% to thermal absorbtance.
~ The third ceramic compound deflects and repels 99.5% of Infrared Radiation ( long wave ) heat to control the heat gain or loss to the envelope of buildings or equipment which represents 57% of thermal absorbtance. This new compound was introduced in February of 2000 as part of our continued research in controlling thermal transfer.
~ The fourth ceramic compound is designed to block 92% of heat conduction by hollow cenosphere technology which is not glass.
Interior Application: INTERIOR HOT BOX TEST RESULTS
- The combination of acrylics provide elasticity and adhesion while the urethane adds toughness, binds the acrylics and compounds and also provides a moisture barrier. The fourth resin additive is what makes the complete resin blend to combine into a single component and extends the life of the coating. This resin / ceramic combination has been shown to repel both heat and fire, withstand elements for 30 to 40 years, endure a 180 degree bend without cracking, resist water, acid rain and ultraviolet light. SUPERTHERM ® is a permanently flexible "breathable" membrane that stops water penetration and prevents corrosion and surface deterioration.
• VOC-Compliant: Only 67.2 grams/liter. Limit is 420 grams. Qualifies under Green Seal limits of 100 grams/liter (g/l) for Flat interior & exterior paints
• US Consumer Product Safety Commission approved
• USDA \ CFIA approved for use around foods
• Energy Star approved partner
• Spreads at 95 sf/gallon which gives a thickness of 17 mils Wet (WFT) = 10 mils Dry (DFT)
• Elongation 125% \ Flexibility 180 degree bend test ( ASTM 1737 - 1/8 " mandrel )
• Weathering 10 years \ UV resistance - 2000 hours \ Hail resistant to cracking
• Can withstand acid rain, chemical vapours and direct mild acid splash
• Salt Spray 2000 + hours \ ASTM B117 Corrosion Test 450 hours ASTM D1654 over black steel Rating procedure B:9
• Contains anti-flash rusting components
• Sound deadening of 68% is accomplished by blocking sound waves in the same manner as blocking heat waves. Separate testing was performed in association with UNC and Stoughton Trailers. Both recorded the same 68% reduction.
• Flame Spread Class " A " Rating with " 0 " flame spread (NASA) (Omega Point Laboratories - ASTM E84 \ UL 723)
• Smoke Developed Class " A " Rating with " 0 "smoke developed (Omega Point Laboratories - ASTM E84)
• "K" Rating with No off gassing (NASA)
• SUPERTHERM ® PROTECTS AGAINST MOLD, MILDEW and other PATHOGENS!
USES: (Partial list)
• Insulating storage tanks (water, chemical, fuel)
• Roofing new and old, flat or inclined Military and Government SUPERTHERM ® Versus White Paint comparison
• Ceilings and interior walls to stop heat from escaping
• Floors (infloor heating under tubing)
• Cold storage (freezers, reefer units)
• Ice rinks, indoor swimming pools
• Refrigerated Trucks
• Delivery Vans ( UPS )
• Condensation Control - Dewpoint Chart or Dew Point Calculator
• SUPERTHERM ® Over studs, ceilings and roofing to block and prevent heat gain or loss
CERAMIC TECHNOLOGY USED IN THIS PRODUCT:
Superior Products International has been experimenting with and developing the uses of "insulation and fire protection" ceramics for over 15 years. This category of ceramic functionality is new to the engineering fields. Only in recent years has the idea of insulation been associated with this new breed of ceramics.
Superior Products International knew that this area had not been thoroughly explored before, nor had any extensive documentation been presented for this application. In contrast, many articles and studies have been devoted to the abrasion resistant ceramic compounds and how they can be used in manufacturing and industrial markets.
Insulative ceramics are completely different and separate from those used for abrasion resistance. No extensive studies have been performed to determine which ceramic compounds, either natural or manmade would be best suited for eliminating heat transfer. Some studies have acknowledged the "reflection" of heat by mere radiation of sunlight but since very limited study has been performed, it was thought that reflection was all that this new category of ceramic could provide.
Superior Products International initially worked in the early 1990's with the aid of the ceramic engineers at the Marshall Space Center Laboratories, and it was discovered that no real research had been performed across the broad spectrum of possible ceramic compounds in order to determine the scope of ceramics stopping or slowing "heat conduction" rather than merely radiant heat reflection. It was also decided that Superior Products International would continue the R&D work over the next several years to discover the possibilities of this new design of ceramics. An extensive search was organized and begun to locate all possible types of ceramics compounds in the world market for trial-and-error testing. A system was designed to take each compound through a series of heat conduction tests to find its ability to stop heat conduction. More than 1,500 compounds were received and tested. From this R&D period, eight different compounds were identified as having the ability not only to catch and throw heat away from their surfaces in a manner similar to reflection but also to control heat transfer via conduction.
Superior Products International chose three of these ceramic compounds to develop its insulation coating called SUPERTHERM ®. A fourth ceramic was added in 2000 as part of our continued research in controlling heat transfer. This is a thin film coating that will protect against heat migration equal to six inches of fiberglass batt insulation when applied over surfaces facing the heat source. SUNSHIELD ® is inferior to SUPERTHERM ® but is still superior to any of the cheap imitations on the market.
SUNSHIELD ® is less expensive because the Fire ceramic \ resistance and urethane \ toughness have been left out. SUNSHIELD ® does have the same dual acrylics and similar multi ceramic insulation package. EPOXOTHERM ® likewise has a similar multi ceramic insulation package but in an Epoxy carrier. Epoxies are required for application to wet substrates such as in the case of extreme condensation.
Seven of the ceramic compounds were also chosen to work in combination with one another in high heat situations. HPC® COATING ® ( to 572°F \ 300°C ) and HSC® COATING ® (to 176°C / 350° F ) were developed to capture surface heat and stop thermal transfer via conduction. As with all of our protective coatings, each one is specifically engineered to solve a particular problem under a wide variety of application requirements and conditions.
SUPERTHERM ® is extremely environmentally friendly. The VOC's ( Volatile Organic Compounds ) are only 67 grams/liter, the limit being 420 grams. SUPERTHERM ® is 11.9 times less toxic than that of typical latex paint which has a VOC of 67 g/L. SUPERTHERM ® has received a " K " rating by NASA for toxic off gassing which is the highest rating available.
In addition to the inherent thermal deficiencies in fiberglass, there is also the possibility of some inherent health concerns. For further information regarding the very real possibility of fiberglass being as carcinogenic as asbestos visit the Fiberglass Information Network. SUPERTHERM ® VS. FIBERGLASS
Unless the manufacturer provides a written warranty of fitness for a particular use, the manufacturer's sole warranty is that the product, as supplied, will meet then current sales specifications and is specific only to return of product found to be defective upon opening of container within one year. Customer's exclusive remedy and Superior's sole liability for breach of warranty is limited to refund of the purchase price or replacement of any product shown to be other than as warranted and the manufacturer expressly disclaims any liability for incidental or consequential damages.