RUSTGRIP ® is a one-part, metallic-filled moisture-cured, penetrating polyurethane that can be used as a primer, topcoat or to encapsulate. It can be applied to metal, concrete, masonry and wood, as specified. It comes in three formulas: RUST GRIP-1 is the basic formula, RUST GRIP-ME is for hot climates and RUST GRIP 1000 is for low VOC concerns.
Surface must be completely dry before applying.
NOTE: If pack rust or mil-scale exists, they must be removed by grit blast, power tool or needle gun. Glossy surfaces should be sanded to a dull finish to improve the profile and enhance adhesion. If mil-scale exists on hot rolled steel, the pores will be blocked and the surface must be taken to a SSPC – SP6 or SP11. Once these steps are taken, begin Surface Preparation Instructions. (Above)
RUST GRIP T2 for Hot Climates°
PREPARATION OF SUBSTRATE :
( Methods: SSPC-SP 1, SP 2, SP 3, SP 6, SP 7, SP 12 )
Can power wash with solvent wipe down, light commercial blast, or power hand tool to remove loose flake and debris before applying. Can use power tool ( within the guidelines of Clean Air Act ) with vacuum to prep lead-based paints ( as discussed at Steel Structures Painting Council--SSPC--meeting March 15-17, 2001 and attended by EPA and NIOSH ) before applying RUSTGRIP ® over lead-based paints. Alternative to abatement of lead paints. Surfaces should be clean, dry and sound. Existing surface dirt, oil, tar, grease and film should be removed from surface by approved methods ( TSP-Tri-Sodium Phosphate or equivalent ) prior to application of RUSTGRIP ®. MUST BE COMPLETELY DRY or being a moisture cure it will start curing before it has an opportunity to become part of the substrate and could flake off.
Aluminum Preparation using 409 Citrus Cleaner
Stir product thoroughly before using. RUSTGRIP ® can be applied slowly with soft bristle brush, roller or spray equipment. If spraying use standard airless sprayer (3,000 psi or less) with a .015 tip. It should be applied evenly without buildup at the prescribed thickness. Overly thick application or applying too quickly may cause surface bubbling from gassing. Apply in two coats using crosshatch method ( side-to-side, up and down over same area ). RUSTGRIP ® over RUSTGRIP ® must be overcoated within 4 hours. NOTE : If overcoating with any other paint products, do so within a 2 week time period of initial application of RUSTGRIP ®. It is preferable that the overcoat be applied within a day or two so that they can cure down together.
CAUTION: Wear gloves and protective clothing. Extremely tough to clean off skin. Throw away brushes and rollers after use. Wear eye protection. * CLEAN UP IMMEDIATELY OR WILL RUIN EQUIPMENT. SOLVENT: Clean-up or reduction, use MEK or MIBK. If sprayed, keep solvent ready to clean equipment before breaks (lunch hour) or at conclusion of job.
NOTE - 1 mil = 1 thousandths of an inch 1/1000"
* USDA approved ( safe around foods ) Lead & chromite free VOC - Rating: 414 gram / ltr, California EPA ( Table of Standards ) maximum accepted VOC allowed is 500 grams \ liter under the classification of: "Metallic pigmented coatings"
* Solids By volume: 51.4% \ By weight.: 62.2% \ Weight: 9.18 Ibs. per gallon Viscosity: 77F. = 59 KU / 320 centipoise SAG test: 4 mils WFT = 320 cps +/- 5% ( viscosity )
* FILM THICKNESS - 4 mils WFT \ 2 mils DFT per coat, ( 400 sq.ft./gal .) ( A wet mil gauge is recommended )
METAL or other non porous substrates ie. bridges 8 mils WFT \ 4 mils DFT
CONCRETE or other porous substrates 10 mils WFT \ 5 mils DFT
* Dry Time: 30-60 minutes @ 70°F (21°C); topcoat immediately after surface is dry to the touch but within two weeks; RUSTGRIP ® over RUSTGRIP ® must be overcoated within 4 hours. Higher temperatures and humidity will shorten cure times and lower temperatures will slow curing
* May be used by itself without an additional top coat product.
* Excellent adhesion to wide variety of substrates. Attaches into the pores of metal, concrete or any other substrate and expands to lock in.
* Cures by reacting to moisture in the air.
* A portion of a container may be used and re-sealed for later use, if done so carefully and with an air tight seal. A piece of poly between the can and the lid is recommended to prevent them from becoming one and thereby being impossible to open. A skin may form on surface of the product. Remove the skin and use as directed.
* Salt Spray Corrosion Test: 15000 hours / Rating Procedure B:9 (Key to Rating 0-10; 0=complete failure, 10=excellent)
* Vehicle Type: Aromatic Polyurethane
* Pigment Type: Aluminum \ Shelf life: 1 year Gloss: Low angular sheen
* Impact Resistance: 200+ psi Front \ 160 psi Back Abrasion-Resistance: ASTM D4060 Graded 18, (excellent)
* Lead-Based Paint Approval: Tested and approved by ASTM E1795 for lead-based paint encapsulation for all local, state, federal agencies, offers 6750 psi tensile strength.
Transmission of electrical currents: Can withstand 18 volts without disbonding. For underground pipes and tanks.
Wear skin and eye protection. Do not take internally. Avoid contact with eyes. If solution does come in contact with eyes, flush immediately with water and contact a physician for medical attention. Avoid prolonged contact with skin or breathing of spray mist. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. This is a flammable liquid. Keep away from flame or fire or other sources of ignition.
Non-Rusted Metal, Fiberglass 300 sq.ft / gallon.
Wood, Concrete, Rusted Metal ( as a primer & top coat) 200 sq.ft./ gallon, 2 coats
Apply coating in 2 applications, using the cross-hatch method (up & down, side-to-side)
Bridges and/or Encapsulation ... 100-150 sq.ft. / gal. ( use brush or roller on 1st coat )
Apply in two coats ( 3 - 4 mils) to four coats ( 5 - 6 mils), depending upon specified mils required.