|MOIST METAL GRIP ® is a two-part epoxy coating system that has
been specifically designed with specific additives to promote
adhesion when used on metal. MOIST METAL GRIP ® was
developed to be applied to metal surfaces that cannot be dry
enough to use RUSTGRIP ®. It can be used directly to wet or
damp metal surfaces and maintain excellent adhesion to prevent
further surface corrosion. It is a water repelling epoxy for use
under water or in areas where constant splashing or condensation
is a problem. It is resistant to chemicals and solvents, and is
designed to can be applied directly to concrete, masonry and
Surface must be clean from oil, tar, rust, grease, salts, and
Surface may be damp.
- Use general degreaser if needed.
- Clean surface using TSP (tri-sodium-phosphate) or a
citrus cleaner to release dirt and degreaser residue.
- Pressure-wash if possible @ 3500 psi.
- Salt contamination on a surface can come as a result of
salt water, fertilizers, and car exhaust. Use Chlor-Rid or
equivalent to decontaminate surface if salts are present.
Acceptable levels: Nitrates: 5-10 mcg/cm², Sulfates: 5-10
mcg/cm², Chlorides: 3-5 mcg/cm².
- MOIST METAL GRIP ® must be applied during proper
temperatures (below) and the prescribed overcoat window
of the coating over which it will be applied.
- If applied over an existing coating having a glossed or
shiny finish, it must be sanded and roughed to remove
gloss before application, to improve the profile.
- Additional coats of MOIST METAL GRIP ® can only be
applied when the 1st coat becomes tacky to the touch and
has little to no transfer of coating. After this stage, the
surface must be lightly sanded to improve the profile.
- Open pail, mix base with curing agent (4 parts base : 1
part curing agent) (ratio by volume, not by weight)
- Mix by hand for two minutes, or using drill and mixing
blade for a minimum of 30 seconds with NO vortex.
Apply between 40°F (4°C) and 150°F (65°C).
- Maximum temperature for continuous use when cured is
- Store unmixed product between 40°F (4°C) and 100°F
(38°C) according to hazmat standards on MSDS.
- Mix base and curing agent and use immediately if ambient
temperature is above 70°F (21°C). If below 70°F (21°C),
allow mixed product to stand for 30 minutes before using.
- Vertical Surfaces: Allow extra induction time (base added to cure), up to one hour before use to allow the coating to thicken for better hang without sag.
4-6 hours at 70°F (21°C) on horizontal surfaces. Shorter pot life may occur as temperature increases according to climate/ambient conditions
MOIST METAL GRIP ® can be applied by brush, roller or
spray; however, the preferred method is by air or airless
- If application is by brush, use a soft bristle brush.
- If application is by roller, use a 1/2 inch nap roller.
- If application is by spray, use a standard airless
sprayer (2 gallons/minute at 3,300 psi) with a .017-
- NOTE: The number of applications and the
thickness of each should be in accordance with
the job specifications.
MINIMUM SPREAD RATES (mil thickness)
NOTE: Temperatures must always be a
minimum of 5 degrees above the dew point
All Surfaces – Apply 1st Application at 200 sq ft/gallon (18 sq mtr/gallon; use a roller to force coating in to pores); 8 mils wet/4 mils
dry ( to penetrate into pores.) Allow 4 hours to dry and
ventilate well, then apply 2nd application of MOIST METAL GRIP ® at 200 sq ft/gallon; 8 mils wet, 4 mils dry.
Wait 24 hours and apply the last coat of MOIST METAL
GRIP at 200 sq ft/gallon.
Note:Surface and ambient temperatures will determine
cure time which is normally 14 full days. Introduction
of heat over surface will enhance the cure time.
Potable water must allow full cure before filling tanks.
- Induction Period: 30 minutes at 70°F (21°C); No
induction time is necessary over 90°F (32°C). EXCEPTION: See Temperature #5 for vertical application.
- NOTE: It is critical that each coat of MOIST METAL GRIP ® be firmly adhered to the substrate before the
next coat is applied. Depending on ambient and
surface temperatures, it may take longer than a 24
hour recoat application window.
- After completion, spray systems should be
flushed and cleaned with MEK or other
- After completion, brushes and rollers can be
cleaned with MEK or comparable solvents,
stored and reused.
Applicator must at all times during use, wear a Bureau of Mines-approved, 2-stage (charcoal and cotton) paint spray respirator, designed for removal of organic vapors, or a fresh air supplied type of respirator. Protective clothing and protective eye-wear (goggles) are recommended.
Lead - and chromate - free
APPLICATION PRECAUTIONS: Do not apply over chlorinated rubber. Even after sandblasting, the chlorination can attack the solvents and brittle the coating.
NOTE: When used in exterior coating applications, MOIST METAL GRIP ® will chalk and lose gloss. For maximum exterior weathering properties, top coat with ENAMOGRIP ®.
NOTE - 1 mil = 1 thousandths of an inch 1/1000"
COVERAGE AND FILM THICKNESS RECOMMENDATIONS
Metal @ 200 sf per gallon applied in two coats crosshatched at 400 sf per coat. This measures 5 - 7 mils WFT = 2.55 - 3.57 mils DFT per coat. ( A Wet Mil Gauge is recommended )
Concrete @ 100 sf per gallon applied in two coats cross hatched at 200 sf per coat.
A coat of 6 mils DFT is recommended for offshore rigs or oil tank flooring.